YUAN GAO, At the age of 13, began studying the clarinet with Guangri Jin at the Central University of Nationalities College of Music in Beijing, China. Barely 3 years later, he won the First Prize at the National Clarinet Competition. The following year, he also won the top prize at Jeunesses Musicales International Music Competition in Romania. The performance was broadcast by CCTV (China Central Television) in China and the government honored him by including his name in the list of prominent Chinese musicians.
In 2006, Gao’s Trio Diamante, won The First Prize at the International Chamber Music Ensemble Competition and was invited to perform at the Carnegie Hall. In 2007, Mr. Gao garnered the Harold Wright Clarinet Merit Award sponsored by the Boston Woodwind Society.
Mr.Gao studied in Vienna, Belgium,and Boston with, respectively, Peter Schmidl, Eddy Vanoosthuyse and Jonathan Cohler. Mr. Gao has given recitals and master classes in the US, China, Japan, Brazil, Argentina and many international clarinet festivals.
Mr. Gao is the owner and designer of GAO’s Royal Musical Collection, INC. USA. and his products including Clarinets in Bb, A, Eb and Bassett Clarinet, Reeds, Barrels, Bells, Ligatures, chosen by world renowned clarinetists.
LISA CANNING is a main street creative entrepreneur, and of course, what else? A clarinetist! As a former student of Robert Marcellus’, and with a love for the arts, entrepreneurship, creativity and innovation, she has developed, and helped others develop, ventures at the intersection of their creativity and business ideas for over 30 years. Her first venture began at the age of 17, from her dorm room at Northwestern University, which results in her being recognized by Music Trade Magazine as a Top 200 retailer for over 10 years. In 2002 Canning was the Recipient of The National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO) Women Business Owner of The Year Award. Canning’s current venture, Lisa’s Clarinet Shop, requires less than 15 hours a week to produce a six-figure income. We are proud to have Lisa as an ambassador of our brand as and advisor to Royal Musical Instruments. Her role is to build our sales and marketing strategy for the USA.
Canning has been a recognized speaker for the creative industries both in the US and abroad. Some of her speaking engagements include:
- PNB-NAPEO: 1st U.S. Maghreb Entrepreneurship Conference, U.S. State Department, Algiers, Algeria.
- World Leaders Forum: Judson University, Elgin, IL, Creativity and Entrepreneurship following President of The United States George W Bush.
- The 6th Annual Global Entrepreneurship Summit by invitation of the White House in Kenya, Nairobi.
Recognized academically for her innovative approach to entrepreneurship education you can find 2 recent books she has been academically published in:
- The United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship® (Dec 2014, Elgar Publishing) The New Paradigm: Creatives and Arts Entrepreneurs, Morris, M (ed.) Annals of Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy;
- The Value of Creativity: Implications for industrial design and design entrepreneurship, Nambisan, S (ed.) Embracing Entrepreneurship Across Disciplines
- Other academic journal articles she has contributed to can be found here.
Canning’s most recent startup IAEOU, a registered 501c3 in the state of Illinois, helps SME’s (small and medium sized businesses) build (online) crowd, sales & export skills to help them reduce risk, and increase their likelihood for success, by becoming more global more quickly. SME’s come in all shapes and sizes and include music ensembles and music product designers too. To learn more about Lisa go to: Lisa Canning