Building and Maintaining a Teaching Studio
Perhaps you’re fresh out of college and need to start working to have a steady income, or you’ve been mostly playing and want to go back to your roots and share your expertise by helping to educate the next generation of musicians.
Either way, teaching is a great way to give of oneself and earn some income doing something you love. So, how do you even get started??
Good question! In this 9 video series, presented by Lisa’s Clarinet Shop and Royal Musical Instruments very own Lacy Garbar, you will learn:
- How to build the right kind of resume to get you students and hired as a private lesson teacher
- How to build a website that will attract parents, students, and band directors to you.
- How to build your social media channels to find teaching opportunities
- How to reach out to band directors and get their attention, interest and time to introduce yourself and your teaching abilities to them.
- What to expect in the hiring process if you want to teach inside of a school.
- How to prepare for a school demonstration to recruit students to your studio.
- How to create your first flyer to be sent home to parents, what it should say, and what it should not.
- How to develop curriculum for your first few students.
- How to handle getting paid and making it be predictable as well as what kind of studio policies you should consider putting into effect.
- How to get to know your students and relate to them and their parents in a way that will spur success.
- Helping parents and students understand the importance of a good mouthpiece, reeds and the right instrument.
- And finally in this video course we will help you think about how to define yourself as a teacher that will bring your best self to your students and provide you with the motivation to teach for many years to come.
Following each lesson, you will be given homework to complete based on the covered topic. As you proceed through the course you will be building your studio, as the goal of this course is to help you fully launch your studio by the time your done!